Thursday, September 5, 2013

Don't Fret, Calm Your Monkeys!

"Do not  anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the Sunlight." ~Benjamin Frankin

In other words, keep your thoughts positive and don't dwell on a future that may or may not come to pass. Easier said than done, I know. I'm awful at worrying and fretting about the future. I can be my own worst enemy! Worrying doesn't solve your problems, or empty tomorrow of it's burdens; it robs you of today, and it's just not healthy. In my case, worrying usually resulting in the following:  (1) anxiety and/or a panic attack, or (2) Insomnia.

Worrying feeds my anxiety, which feds my fear. It's times like those that I turn to positive affirmations, but sometimes I can't seem to shut off those worrisome thoughts, you know? They can be stubborn like that, and when that happens, well... positive affirmations don't do diddly squat, and sometimes the anxiety leads to a panic attack. You know the feeling... your heart is racing, you begin to sweat, and get that nauseated feeling in the pit of your stomach, and fear settles in like a lead laced boulder of doom. If that's isn't enough, it is quickly followed by an inner alarm, screeching: "OMG, what the heck am I gonna do! Noooo! Oh no, oh no, oh no! I am so scr%@ed! OMGOMGOMG! Yeah, those... they are awful, aren't they? To make matters worse, once you get to that point, it's hard to get it under control. When this happens, I have found that practicing deep breathing can sooth the panic, and calm the heart rate. 

Take DEEP BREATHS, in and out, s-l-o-w,  l-o-n-g breaths, In through the nose, and out through the mouth. Just focus on your breathing for several minutes, then while breathing nice and slow, begin to calmly talk to your body. 

Tell yourself everything is going to be alright. You can tell yourself anything that soothes you. This is when positive affirmations can help you gain control once more. I like the following: "Everything is as it should be. I am not alone; my angels are watching over me. The Universe protects me, and provides for me. I am safe. All my needs are being met right now. I trust the process and all is well." Repeat this process for however long it takes to return your state of mind and your body back to normal. If possible, you can even follow this by treating yourself to a nice, long, very hot soak in the tub. Can you say, RELIEF?

Then there is the insomnia. I have nights when my mind goes into overdrive, and there is one crazy fiesta with thoughts flying and dancing around like crazed monkeys on speed!  ...which contributes to my insomnia, which in turn leads to stressing about not being able to sleep, knowing I have to get to work the following morning. It's a vicious circle! BUT, I have a couple of tricks up my sleeve that have been a real blessing!

When I can't seem to shut out the party in my mind, I select a guided meditation on my ipod or on my cellphone, plug in my earphones, put on my eye mask, and follow the instructions. Most the time, these guided meditations work like a charm. 

I also try to keep over-the-counter Valarian Root capsules and Melatonin supplements on hand, and by 9:00 PM and I still feel wide awake with no hint of drowsiness, I reach for my handy dandy helpers; believe me these do wonders, or even a nice strong cup of chamomile tea, or perhaps warm milk with cinnamon and honey, maybe even combine your drink of choice with a long hot relaxing soak. Yes, long hot relaxing soaks are a fave of mine [grin] Hmm... me thinks a certain tub is calling my name.

What is your favorite remedy for Insomnia or Anxiety?

DISCLAIMER:  I recommend you talk to your doctor before taking any supplements to ensure that they will not counteract with any of your current medications and/or any health problems that you may have. I am not a doctor nor a professional herbalist, etc. Please, please, please consult your doctor FIRST! This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Never disregard or delay in seeking medical advice regarding something you have read.





No comments:

Post a Comment