Thursday, August 29, 2013

Survival and Determination, but Where is the Balance?

Do you ever feel like you have bitten off more than you can chew, but yet you feel like you really have no other option, and you are flat exhausted for your efforts? Yeah, me too. In fact I've been feeling that alot lately, and I'm finding that my thoughts are dragging me down. So what to do in cases like this?

I have no choice but to keep pushing forward; the alternative is not an option; I am in survival mode, and this is basically what I do....
I force myself to keep going, and at the end of the day I can look back and say "I did it; I made it through another day. I CAN do this!" Yes, I'm worn out, but I feel good knowing that I am a survivor and I have the will and determination to make it. Then the next day, I begin anew.

Sometimes though, you are so focused on just surviving that it begins to take its toll. Things become so overwhelming that you (and by you, I mean me) find yourself shutting down and closing yourself  off, which can very quickly lead to sinking into a quagmire of negativity. I struggle with this because I am a recluse by nature, so withdrawing comes way too easily.

Along with feeling overwhelmed, you feel exhausted. You've got to find some balance in your life, but you just don't have the energy. All you want to do is hide out and recoup, but that isn't necessarily the right thing to do. Yes, you need your rest, but you also need a life outside of work and home. This is the time to reach out, and get out. If you are like me, you are uncomfortable in doing this, but seriously... if you don't, you will sink deeper.

Sonia Choquette describes it perfectly in her book Traveling at the Speed of Love. She wrote:

"When we are unable to open up, be vulnerable  and accept love 
and support from others and the Universe, we not only fail to soar, 
but we end up broken, exhausted, and limping along in life instead."  

So swallow that pride, reach out to a friend, talk about it, and get yourself out of your hidey-hole and do something fun! There has to be some kind of balance in your life. That saying all work and no play make so-and-so a dull boy or girl, is very true. I have been so busy working two jobs and babysitting my grandkids that I am wearing myself down. I've noticed I've gotten very grumpy and depressed. I've got to find some time to have some fun! Survival mode and determination are great to keep you going... to a point, but too much without any counterbalance is detrimental to your physical and mental health. Fun is just the ticket; they do say laughter is the best medicine, right? Nothing makes you feel better than laughing with your friends and family, and with that thought (and the tid bits to follow) I am signing off with a smile.


(ha ha ha!)









No comments:

Post a Comment